Facts for the year 2014
- The total number of prime cattle slaughtered at UK abattoirs in the year in 2014 year to 1.96 million.
- Average Carcase weights for steers 367.5kg and heifers 324.6kg
- Export increased by 6%
- The top five export destinations were other EU member states
- Hong Kong increased is importance as an Export Market
- Total cattle and calve numbers in England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales have shown a slight decrease on the numbers recorded in years 2011 to 2013.
- Red meat productions in 2014 in the UK was slightly up on previous years from 2011 to 2013.
- Cattle slaughtering’s fell both UK and regionally in 2014 from previous years, 2011 to 2013, as did beef and veal production.
- There was a rise in total meat consumption in 2014 from those recorded in previous years, 2011 to 2013.
- Auction markets held by region have seen an increase overall.
- The ten largest auction markets can be found in, Bridgnorth, Northallerton, Darlington, Sedgemoor, Ludlow, Selby, Market Drayton, Thirsk, Newark, York.