Know your facts!
- There are approximately 9.36 million cattle in the UK (Statista 2020)
- The total number of prime cattle slaughtered in 2020 was 2,038,202 (AHDB)
- The UK produced 926.2 thousand tonnes of beef and veal in 2020 (AHDB)
- The beef supply chain contributes approximately £2.8 billion to the UK economy
Know your consumer, know your market:
- Total consumption in 2020 was 311.3 million tonnes (Kantar 2020)
- Total spend on Beef and veal products in 2020 was £2.37 billion (Kantar 2020)
- The UK is 75% self-sufficient in Beef leaving us plenty room for producers to grow more beef for the home market
- 81% of beef sold in the UK is under the British logo, however Aldi, Budgens, Co-op, Lidl, M&S, Morrison’s and Waitrose all use 100% British Beef. Let’s hope the rest follow the trend!
- The UK exported 119,385 tonnes of fresh and frozen beef in 2020. Exports are mainly to the EU.
- The UK imported 242,828 tonnes of beef in 2020.